Downtown Doors: Urban Art Gallery
The Madison Arts Commission and Madison’s Central Downtown Business Improvement District announce Downtown Doors, a new initiative which will transform doors on State Street into an outdoor art gallery showcasing the work of local artists. Downtown Doors will be unveiled at 11am on May 1, 2019 at the opening of Summer in Your City Café at the Top of State Street.
The Room Tax Commission, understanding the thirst that visitors and residents alike have for experiences that allow them to appreciate the of diverse artistic talent our community enjoys, approved the Madison Arts Commission’s request for $25,000 to commission more downtown Blink projects (temporary public art) that create an enhanced welcoming experience in Madison’s core.
We've designed this program to highlight, encourage and promote local artists in the same way that the utility box program and other successful Blink projects have over the last several years. Doors will be wrapped in high-quality vinyl.
We hope to get sponsorship for more than 20 doors along State Street and in Downtown Madison. We know more than that could qualify for this inaugural project. Please consider signing your property up for the project!
Downtown Doors Call for Artists 2019
Artists are invited to submit images of their artwork for consideration. Selected artists will be compensated up to $400 for a license of each image used in the program. Full guidelines are posted on the City website, but here are a few restrictions for artists to consider:
• The images submitted are your original works, high quality, engaging and positive.
• There are no legible logos, words, letters or numbers that could constitute a sign.
• The design submitted does not promote or advertise a particular community group or organization.
• Artists must be over 18 years of age and consider themselves to be professional or semi-professional artists.
• Art must be family friendly, and appropriate for our youngest viewers.
• Artists from often underrepresented groups and/or media (such as street-art) are encouraged to apply.
• Art submitted for consideration should be able to translate well to a door wrap. Single door sizes are approximately 36” x 84“ or a double door at 72” x 84.”
Deadline: March 11, 2019
Downtown Doors Call for Sponsors 2019
Property Owners, with property located within the BID, are invited to apply for consideration. We are looking for secondary, auxiliary and non-retail front doors. We are looking for single and double doors to wrap.
Selected properties will be given “ Downtown Doors Sponsor ” status.
Sponsorship is $250 per door or $500 per door if you want to select your own art from the approved catalog of art.
BID will work with the property owners to prepare doors and install vinyl wraps prior to May 1, 2019.
Click here for sponsorship information.
Deadline: March 31, 2019
Downtown Doors is a partnership between the Madison Arts Commission and Madison’s Central Business Improvement District to bring an outdoor gallery to State Street and Downtown Madison. Its purpose to re-imagine hidden and secondary doors along State Street and in the Downtown Core area by applying a vinyl decal with art from local artists.
Tiffany Kenney, BID Executive Director
O: 608-512-1340 | F: 608-204-9028