- The Madison Central Business Improvement District (BID) manages and markets the Downtown Madison Gift Certificate Program.
Gift Certificates are sold online and at two downtown locations:
a. Online at visitdowntownmadison.com
b. In person at the Overture Center ticket office at 201 State Street
c. In person at the University Book Store at 711 State Street
- Like a travelers’ check, the Downtown Madison Gift Certificate is a pre-printed, fixed-amount check, which is backed by money in the BID Gift Certificate account.
- Downtown Madison Gift Certificates do not expire.
- They are purchased by individuals as gifts, and by area companies and organizations as employee and customer incentives.
- The amount of any single gift certificate is limited to $25 or under. Multiple gift certificates may be purchased at one time.
- We are unable to replace lost or stolen certificates.
- There are more than 170 participating BID businesses.
It's Easy to Participate!
- Notify the BID’s Programming Coordinator that your business will participate in the program (currently, Tim Jenquin at (608) 512-1341 or email@example.com. ).
- The Programming Coordinator will add your business name to the list of participating businesses on the BID’s website and on the gift certificate sleeves.
- A Downtown Ambassador will drop off promotional materials for you to display on your front window and/or near the cash register notifying customers you accept the Downtown Madison Gift Certificate.
Gift Certificate Acceptance
- Accept the Downtown Madison Gift Certificates as you would a travelers’ check (although no counter-signing by the customer is necessary).
- If the amount of the purchase is less than the amount of the gift certificate, give change in cash.
- Endorse the back of the certificate.
- The certificate can then be deposited with all other deposits directly to your business’ chosen bank.
- Remember, Downtown Madison Gift Certificates do not expire.
Gift Certificate Sleeves are Non-Negotiable
The Downtown Madison Gift Certificate looks like a check with a signature, bank information, and security features. The gift certificate sleeve is non-negotiable. Please make sure you accept only the certificates themselves.