Explore downtown Madison while practicing active reading with the whole family on the Downtown Madison StoryWalk®!
Madison’s Central Business Improvement District is excited to bring this safe, fun, and innovative reading program to our downtown community throughout the year.
Our StoryWalk® book is: “Rabbit's Snow Dance” by James & Joseph Bruchac, Illustrated by Jeff Newman
Learn about how Rabbit lost his tail with this traditional Iroquois story!
How To StoryWalk®
To read the story in order, we recommend folks start at the Downtown Madison Visitor Center at 452 State St. Families will walk up State St from there and make their way around the Capitol Square to Madison Children's Museum, the final location of the story. The stops for the story are labeled in numerical order on the map below.
Having a StoryWalk® Adventure is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Head downtown and find the first page - located at:
- Read the pages with your little one.
- Find the next set of pages to continue the story.
- Repeat #4 until you reach the end!
There are 12 stops in total. It is all walkable, though, some friends way want to take breaks along the way. Luckily, there's many fun places to stop along the way and great options for lunch or snack too!
List of StoryWalk® Stops
- Best Western Premier Park Hotel & the Post
- Downtown Madison Visitor Center at 452 State St
- Fontana Sports Specialties
- Hawk's Bar & Grill
- Ian's Pizza
- JD McCormick Properties
- Lake City Books
- Madame Chu Delicacies
- Madison Children's Museum
- Madison Public Library - Central Branch
- Wisconsin Historical Museum
Downtown Madison StoryWalk® Map
Looking for another great seasonal book for your family to enjoy? Check out “Happy ALL-idays!” by Cindy Jin and Illustrated by Rob Sayegh Jr.
Past StoryWalk® books include:
- “Ice Cream Face” by Heidi Woodward Sheffield
- “Everybunny Dance!” words and illustrations by Ellie Sandall
- “Halloween is Coming” words by Cal Everett, illustrated by Lenny Wen
- “The Little Fire Truck” by Margery Cuyler, illustrated by Bob Kolar
The StoryWalk® Project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and developed in collaboration with the Kellogg-Hubbard Library. Storywalk® is a registered service mark owned by Ms. Ferguson. Learn more here
About Our Partner
Created in collaboration with Madison Reading Project! The Madison Reading Project connects our community with free books and literacy resources that ignite a love for reading and affirm and reflect the diversity of young readers. MRP recently partnered with Dolly Parton's Imagination Library! This program is now available for all children age birth to five who reside in Dane County. You can register your children here so that they receive free books delivered to your home.