Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 3:00 - 6:00 pm
State Street & Capitol Square
Halloween fun for families and kids 12 & under
Hay Rides around the Capitol Square, crafts, art projects, stories and songs, trick or treat at participating businesses, and more!
Check back for more 2023 event details
2022 Event Details
Follow along on Facebook here!
Download a PDF with a list of the activities and treat stops click here .
2022 FAMILY HALLOWEEN MAP
2022 FAMILY FUN
- Trick-or-Treat at more than 60 downtown locations!
- Fall StoryWalk® - While you're downtown - check out our Fall StoryWalk! This fun activity is in partnership with Madison Reading Project and the Dane County Fire Truck Parade!
- Photos with Bucky Badger at 4pm at Lisa Link Peace Park (452 State St)
- Giant Pumpkin photo spot - Head to Lisa Link Peace Park (452 State St) any time during the event for the best Halloween photos with our Giant Pumpkin made out of balloons!
- Overture Center for the Arts Kids in the Rotunda presents Magic Morgan and Liliana, in a spooktacular Halloween performance at 3:00pm and 5:00pm, on the Rotunda stage at Overture Center for the Arts. Magic Morgan & Liliana will amaze and astound you, make you laugh, and make you wonder. This FREE program is sure to engage, educate and entertain your whole family. Activity Stop #17
- YOUR Downtown Movie Night: Hocus Pocus - Join us at the Forum (100 State St) for a FREE showing of this fun movie, great for all ages! Movie starts at 6pm. In partnership with Madison Parks. Activity Stop #16
Looking for these stops? You can identify them in person via the listed 'Activity Stop #' below and on signs at the locations.
All activities from 3:00 - 6:00 pm, free, and include trick-or-treating unless otherwise noted.
Activity Locations Include:
- Artists and Craftsman Supply - 203 W. Gorham St. - Check out their facepainting station with DIY paint and stencil designs! Activity Stop #4
- Boulders Climbing Gym - 25 W. Main St. Suite 500 - Try climbing at Boulder's Climbing Gym for free! Their front wall will be available for all trick-or-treaters to come test out their spidey-senses. Please note, the minimum weight is 35lbs for the climbing wall. Activity Stop #14
- Boys and Girls Club of Dane County - Outside at “The Grove” at the Top of State - Visit their pop-up booth at the Top of State St to get a treat for kiddos and for the adults - you can get a coupon for a discounted registration for the 2023 Shamrock Shuffle (3/11/23)!!! Activity Stop #9
- Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream - 468 State St. - Don't miss this spooktacular trick-or-treat stop where you'll get free mini cones during the event! Activity Stop #1
- Downtown Madison Visitor Center - 452 State St. - Now's your chance for a special Halloween photo with Bucky!! Special appearance by Bucky Badger from 4-5pm. Take your cutest Halloween pictures yet - with our Giant Pumpkin photo station! All day photo stop with the Giant Pumpkin! Activity Stop #2 & 3
- Hook & Fade - 113 S Hamilton St. - Try out their putting green and driving range! Open to any kiddo's interested in trying their hand at some golf! Their Golf Associate will be available to help any kids and big kids with putting and long drive form. AND - Trick or Treat shots for adults, because we're all really just taller kids! Activity Stop #13
- Madison Children's Museum - 100 N. Hamilton St. - Stop by the optical illusion photo booth at Rotary Stage for a floating head photo op, then come around back to the Wonderground for trick-or-treating and a scavenger hunt in their outdoor play space. Please enter the Wonderground via the gate on East Dayton Street, near the Log Cabin. Only the Wonderground is open this afternoon. Activity Stop #15
- Madison Museum of Contemporary Art - 227 State St. - Learn art-making and craft techniques inspired by the artwork on view at the museum! Families are invited to explore the Faisal Abdu’Allah: Dark Matter exhibition on the 2nd floor, and also enjoy treats in the lobby from 3-6pm. (Admission to MMoCA is always free.) Activity Stop #5
- Madison Parks - Madison Parks has a fun stop planned for you! Enjoy a tractor hayride around the Capitol Square. Rides leave approximately every 20 minutes; two hay wagons will be running at the event. ($3.00/person, children 2 and under are free, no reservations required.) Candy spot too! Activity Stop #12
- Madison Police Department - Outside at “The Grove” at the Top of State - Meet our Downtown Neighborhood officers team and get your own police badge. Activity Stop #8
- Madison Public Library - 201 W. Mifflin St. - Swing by the Children's room (lower level) of Madison's Central Library while you are enjoying downtown Halloween to grab a trick or a treat, do a spooky craft, and join in for a MONSTEROUS storytime for all ages at 5pm. Activity Stop #7
- Madison Reading Project - Outside at “The Forum” at the Top of State - Come aboard the Big Red Reading Bus and select a free book! Activity Stop #10
- Madison Senior Center - 330 W. Mifflin St. - Visit the Madison Senior Center for candy and some fun games! Activity Stop #6
- Wisconsin Historical Museum - 30 N. Carroll St. - Join the Wisconsin Historical Museum for Downtown Madison Family Halloween! Some of the Historical Museum’s exhibits have come to life for tonight only. Come visit for creepy crafts and silly selfies with lake monsters, hodags, and more! Activity Stop #11
2022 Trick-or-Treat Stops
- Alobudra Spiritual Apothecary - 133 W. Johnson St.
- Anthology - 230 State St. Stop 1
- Art Gecko - 510 State St.
- Best Western Premier Park Hotel - 22 S. Carroll St.
- Chase Bank - 22 E. Mifflin St.
- Colectivo on the Square - 25 S Pinckney St.
- The Cooper’s Tavern - 20 W. Mifflin St.
- Destination Madison - 22 E. Mifflin St. Suite 200
- Ellsworth Block - 23 N. Pinckney St.
- Fair Trade Coffee House - 418 State St.
- Fjallraven - 559 State St.
- Fontana Sports Specialties - 216 N. Henry St.
- Goodman’s Jewelers - 220 State St.
- Hawk's Bar and Grill - 425 State St.
- Hilton Madison - 9 E. Wilson St.
- Ian’s Pizza - 100 State St.
- IT'SUGAR - 542 State St. - Proud Candy Partner
- Kilwins - 208 State St.
- Little Luxuries - 230 State St. Stop 2
- Los Gemelos Restaurant - 244 W. Gilman St.
- Lucille - 101 King St.
- Mad Seafood Boiler - 201 W. Gorham St.
- Majestic Theater - 115 King St.
- Merchant - 121 S. Pinckney St.
- Mohs, Widder, Paradise LLC - 20 N. Carroll St.
- Old National Bank - 25 W. Main St.
- Park Bank - 33 E. Main St.
- Parthenon Gyros - 316 State St.
- Paul's Book Store - 670 State St.
- Poke Plus Teriyaki - 615 State St.
- Sencha Tea Bar - 224 State St.
- The Soap Opera - 319 State St.
- Sunshine Daydream - 619 State St.
- Supra Sneakers - 224 State St. Suite 102
- Taiwan Little Eats - 320 State St.
- Teddywedgers - 101 State St.
- The Tipsy Cow - 102 King St.
- Tony Evers' Campaign - 7 N. Pinckney St.
- U.S. Bank - Retail Branch 1 S. Pinckney St., Suite 101 (U.S. Bank Plaza)
- The University Book Store - 711 State St. (Library Mall)
- Veda Data - 202 State St. Suite 300
- Wisconsin Cheese Mart - 119 State St.
- Wisconsin Counties Association - 22 E. Mifflin St.
- The Wisconsin Veterans Museum - 30 W. Mifflin St.